My ideas (evolved after a few mishaps):

For getting out of breakers with an on-shore wind my favorite technique is to sheet the jib tight and leave the main loose. The rudders will probably not be locked down yet, and if you sheet the main tight you will have severe weather helm - not very welcome when you are trying to concentrate on the waves.

I aim into each wave at about 40 degrees off perpendicular. The wave then pushes the nose of the cat off the wind a bit, but you have time to steer up a little before the next wave hits. Don't steer up into the wind too much or you'll go into irons - which is the last thing you want to do. Once you are past the breakers then you can think about tacking etc.

I sail in Galveston bay which gets very choppy in high wind because it is shallow (wave periods of around 2 seconds). I much prefer bigger waves offshore with a longer period (say 7 seconds). Going to weather in short chop I move my weight back a little to stop the hulls digging in.

My favorite course when sailing in the rough stuff is downwind on a broad reach. Nothing beats surfing your cat down the face of an 8ft breaking wave! Just watch out for digging the bows into the back of the wave in front if you are carrying too much speed.

For tacking in severe chop I backwind the jib a little to ensure the tack is succesfuly completed.

Chris

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules