Great Regatta,
Bit rusty and a tad amnesiac as to what does what, good weekend to stretch out the new rigging, and some old ligaments. Strong and shifty winds [it is Barmera in October!] were a baptism for the season to come. Managed to stay upright on Saturday but broke a few things, one of which was the harness. Many thanks to the Thomas family who kindly lent Kirsten's harness as she was not competing this weekend. In keeping with the family gene Kirsten is tall and slim, me, less so,[visualise a hamster standing up, but with less hair!]Sunday morning with an unfamiliar harness, I could not get my legs through the straps, even with the shoulder straps set on maximum made my eyes water [the sailing equivalent to the squirrel grip] The morning race was a blur [through watering eyes] the harness hook was inadvertantly set off to the left [my fault] which made different tacks new territory, in pain, from a medical perspective the optical-testical nerve was being compressed resulting in micro second racing decisions being compromised [lapped by the rescue boat]lunch time all the straps were set to their maximums and the PFD worn over everything,for the afternoon race it was amazing what a bit of blood flow to the nether regions does for a males capacity to think logically.
[Einstein agreed with this..one brain...one family jewels...only enough blood to supply one at a time!]
Barmera had a large contingent of Taipans and Nacra's not only from the South East but also from Victoria's Sunrasia District[no names but the big lad sails in King Gee work shorts and shirt+pfd and ronstan booties]what does he wear to work? For the south east sailors it was a 6hour + drive each way to attend an opening regatta in the Riverland, which is a very large commitment. My right hand is still numb from shaking hands with Mark W. The SA 18 footers were there and are a very spectacular boat from both a competitor and spectator point of view, the gusty lake conditions caught them out a few times, all in all a great weekend, full marks to LBYC for an excellently run event,they deserve more support from the metro clubs
Cheers,
Roy,
Mosquito 1770,
ps. shoulders hurt,legs hurt, back hurts, getting too old for this cowpoo [can't say s#it,apparently] ......wish I was 20,..30 even...40would be good,...would settle for 50!!