Todd
Sailors are very much of a follow the leader

What happens to the US class when the top 10 leave the class and go compete against the other top 40 guys in the world on foiling A cats. After all... that is who they are competing against now and WHY they are competing... Foiling A cats are where the challenge is.. they don't care if they beat a class of 100 weekend warriors... they know who the competition is. Glen Asby wins the A class worlds... Nobody says.. Glen won the Worlds and beat 200 boats... or 20 boats.. What matters is the prestige of the Class and the talent in the class.

So, Do you really think the top ten guys give a fig about what the next 30 guys in the US fleet want...
Hell no.... The crass thing to note is that Well It is a game of musical chairs... last guy to get out of their conventional boat loses a lot of bucks.

That is an almost certain outcome for the top 10 guys .. What do you think the next 10 guys in the pecking order do... I bet they follow the action as soon as they can... Again being crass.... It is a game of musical chairs... sell your gear before it is obsolete... Mostly, you jump to the new class because that is where the action has gone and that is what you truly care about. (its not about the parties... a veritable dick forest if there ever was one)

So, you have two classes... one with lots of energy developing foils and the other class going... wow.. the world changed fast! Is that a good thing? ... Is is sustainable?

The intention of the rules was clear.. No foiling... The rule failed.... Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.. When Glen Asby is imploring the class to wake up... I listen.. I hate the answer (just like you do) ... but I think he is spot on. Let them figure out a proper way to fly an 18 foot single handed uni rig boat, call it an A class and let the musical chairs game continue....This is a no pain solution if the class grows by the way.

When you don't want to play at this level because you get lapped by a rock star on a foiling A cat... Well, you go race SCHRS locally ... I think that is better long term outcome then two A classes.

crac.sailregattas.com