Boca Chita Key, Sail in, March 14-16, Update:

We (looks like 15-20) will use marine VHF channel 72.
To the beach cats bring a signal mirror, and flash three times, pause…, so we can see you from BC?
Things I have learned about Boca Chita, and what you should know.

Boca Chita is only 18 Miles from MYC. It is a 3 to 4 MONOhours sail on flat water in the bay.
It is a great place to R&R at the beach, enjoy the clear blue green water around the island,
catch a few brew ski’s, mask and snorkel, or sail one the variety of beach cats we will have there.
Sands Key next door has a magical pelican lagoon.

If you are lucky enough to be planning the moonlight sail and arrive late and do not find
a sailboat in the harbor to raft up with, Plan B is to raft up just west of Lighthouse
and sleep under the stars. ( I did this 2 weeks ago)

The beach cats will be leaving on Saturday and the Park Ranger said no beach cats on beach
but up on grass is OK, means cat tracking the boats about 50 ft. A couple boats have volunteered
to bring the beach wheels.

There were no Mosquitoes last weekend, I expect this time of year for the winds to be high
enough and temperature low enough for no bugs.

To get a spot in the harbor, I have been told you have to leave Miami in morning.
My guess is there will be enough sailboats from our group that we will be able
to raft up in the harbor. Park rules allow only 2 boat deep to raft up off the wall.

An overnight docking fee of $20. Use of one individual campsite is included in the docking fee.
Register at the automated kiosk next to the edge of the harbor.

To get to Boca Chita steer 195-200 degrees from Rickenbacker Causeway until you get almost due west
Boca Chita. There is a lighted buoy, and make a left turn to Boca Chita.

You can safely take in 5' draft at MLW, just stay between the 3 sets of buoys. The shallowest part,
just over 5' MLW, is just east of the final pair (between the last pair and the harbor entrance).

Fires are permitted only in the provided grills. there are no facilities in the island, no cafeteria,
no shops, no nothing. You must bring everything AND take away everything you brought including your garbage.

Please feel free to ask or add suggestions,
Sheet in, Max out,
Chris