Hi swatter,

The easiest way to put up an old (heavy) Mossie mast is with two people! However if you must do it by yourself, there are a number of ways you can do it. No doubt others here will have some advice for you, but this is what I do...

From what you said on the other thread, you have a hinge plate on the mast (newer masts don't have that). As you said, you need to raise the top end of the mast so that you can get the hinge pin in the holes.

I got a piece of steel tube (about 1.8 m long) and welded some feet on it so that it will stand vertically. A portable post if you like. I stand the post at the back of the boat, about a metre behind.

About half way up I have a piece of steel attached to the post so that I can sit the mast on it. I sit the the mast there and get the hinge pin in the holes. Then I lift the mast up and sit it on top of the post. I have another piece of steel attached to the top of the post to sit the mast on.

Then I get on the trampoline, take hold of the mast and stand it up. It is quite easy to lift the mast from the top of the post into the vertical position.

It can be a bit tricky holding mast up, and attaching the forestay to the bridle, so you need to be careful with that.

Last edited by Greg/Debra; 05/19/14 02:23 AM.

1140 Gadfly
1434 J.I.B.E.
1727 Atreus