Hi,

The drawing shows the internal structure the broken bolt for the beam strap is screwed into. If the drawing is correct, all you have to do is to unscrew the broken bolt (bolt removal kit from a hardware store and a drill is needed. If you are unlucky and the bolt is seized you might have to drill it out and tap new threads) and replace the bolt.

A kit like this might be all you need if the bolt is not stuck too hard: [img]http://images.biltema.com/PAXToImageService.svc/product/large/2000016851[/img]

From the drawing it also looks as if the tension on the strap can be relieved by turning the nut at the bottom of the dolphin striker. Check how much tension you have on the beam today by measuring deflection at the ends with a straight egde lying along the length of the beam.
Make sure you loose up the dolphin striker before trying to remove the bolts. There is a lot of tension on that strap.

When assembling again, I would use blue locktite on both bolts for the strap and the nut on the dolphin striker to insure against something working loose and breaking the boat. This is a critical structure after all.

On compression pads:

The compression pads are the part the beam bolts passes through inside the beam. Without these, when you tighten the beam bolts, the beam itself would compress and break.

On the drawing the second part from the left is the first compression pad, and the third part is the other one.

The pads differ in design. On the picture you see a different style (a not as rigid design) with the beam bolt passing through it.

The 2x4 (yes, it is a piece of wood smile ) was what I had to use to remove the compression pads on an Marstrøm Tornado. Hopefully you will not have to resort to the same level of force (or violence).

When you reassemble the beam, the pads should be isolated galvanically from the beam as the metal might see galvanic corrosion if not. There are special compounds for this like duralac. This might be enough to also fix the beams in place depending on how tight the fit is.

If you wait a couple of hours, I bet Jake comes online with a better way to do it wink

I sympathize with you on the english language. It would be so much better if the rest of the western world could agree on speaking norwegian or another proper germanic language instead of the english variant of germanic. (that should get some interesting replies laugh )

Last edited by Rolf_Nilsen; 05/28/14 06:17 AM.