Hi all, for years I've been planning to set up a spinnaker on my 5.2 and yesterday was the first test sail.
Everything was pretty much in the ball park and works reasonably well. It sure saved my a$$ when the wind almost died last night! Paddling five miles is not my idea of fun...
I now have a lot of tweaking to do, which I am really looking forward to.

Just one thing was a PITA, I hoisted the spin and rolled the jib in order to get a better overview of the set of the sail. Then I noticed the spinnaker halyard got fouled around the furling jib. I quickly unfurled the jib again while I still had enough leeway to douse the spin and everything was OK from then on. But; no furling... Because I sail solo most of the time I'd really like to get it to co-operate with the spin.

I have that huge original overlapping Jib with nasty leech battens. I guess I'll have to alter those asap.

I was wondering though, What solutions have you come up with?
I could re-cut the jib, that would remove the need for leech battens and make for a tighter package when furled. I eyeballed it and it looks like it would cost me 30% of the surface area if I move the sheeting point to the front beam. That's pretty scary but would have the added bonus of clearing up the tramp. Would that do the trick though? I'd hate to go through with a major re-cut and find out it makes no significant difference.

Thanks,
Dennis