Originally Posted by Jake

No rule requires one boat to anticipate what the other boat might do. This boils down to "did yellow react fast enough" to how black physically presented his boat to him. I think yellow eased their main and started to bear away pretty fast once it became clear that black wasn't actually tacking. You could argue that yellow should have tacked but I would counter with the fact that it's a crewed boat and it takes coordination to tack a boat without throwing people in the water. I think the attempted duck was a reasonable action...he just wasn't allowed enough time or opportunity to do so.

I don't buy it's a crewed boat so we couldn't tack arguement. This isn't their first rodeo and a team that's got their act together is going to talk and their going to anticipate things not going the way they want. They will know their outs and how to executed them. They didn't tack because it would have basically been game over anyway. The duck had a lower chance of success without contact but if they made it they would have been in control, going where they wanted and there is a good chance they would have led black into the mark on starboard assuming they were close the starboard layline.

Some may not like seeing the rules used this way but it takes some gray matter sort it out and for me I like watching better sailors than me figure it out.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"