Originally Posted by tback

Eric, could you expand on an this example:

Boat W on Starboard and windward (WS) has over-stood the lay-line and is now footing to round A mark.

Boat L also on Starboard and leeward (LS) is pinching to make the A mark.

Presumably, LS has been overlapped with WS for some time.

LS has now caught a lift, so no longer needs to pinch and WS maintains course, now on a reach.

Anticipating a wind shift back, LS wants to enter wide and exit close so she sails the lift which now hails for WS to "come up".

What are options here for WS and LS?

To put this in the terminology I use (I have no idea how common this is), if I'm "LS" and sailing a fair bit out from A-mark, I'm telling my crew that we got a lift and can make the mark now but I'm going to keep putting some in the bank - which means I'm going to keep sailing a bit high of the mark in case the wind shifts back to it's original heading.

How overlap was established aside, I think the inquiry you have here is more about what is "proper course" if the boat in question is overstood. In reality, you are probably not going to find a realistic situation where a windward boat has overstood a mark and is reaching down to it while a leeward boat is on the layline and overtaking the windward boat from behind. I suppose that if you are in a wild mix of boats that could happen - but then the "proper course" for the leeward boat is pretty hard for the windward boat to determine. Not to mention, if you are leeward and sailing THAT close to the windward boat that was so much slower than you, you have just sailed into a big wind shadow and are not being very smart.

For the sake of nuance, though, Eric, how do you think this applies? Suppose there is a bit of distance to go to the top of the course (1/4 mile or better) and an F18 is the leeward boat trying to fetch A-mark on a shifty course and is sailing a little high of the mark to ensure that he can make it if the wind shifts in an unfavorable direction. Meanwhile, a Melges 24, who was ahead is sailing directly at the mark is overtaken from astern and to leeward by the F18 in very close quarters (which, would be insane for the F18 because of the wind shadow...but for the sake of discussion...).

Jake Kohl