Originally Posted by MN3
i wear scuba gloves.

I never tried those, but I will do that.

It so happened that I sailed today in cold conditions: about 1 degree celcius temperature with a northeastern (polar)wind and a minus 3 degree windchill.

I first started with my standard gloves: open fingertips and small opening on the gripside for good grip. After half hour my fingertips started to hurt.
For starting (stepping up the mast and rigging), I used my woollen car-gloves. That worked, except for the clevispins.

Most of the suggestions done in this thread, I have already tried , but with no succes.

It seems to me that the problem is undissolvable. I mean the gloves should keep the water out (warming up the water inside is doubtful because your hand works like a pump). Besides that, water leads 16 times(?) faster the heat away. For that reason modern wetsuit design is using frontzip entry through the neck and very stretchy and well-fitting models. The goal is minimum water entry. And that works! Those wetsuits stay almost dry on the inside and are very warm.

So, keeping the water out,.... but also with isolation. Just bare plastic gloves don't work. And that's where the problems begin. With a minus zero windchill you need atleast 2 mil neopreen on the backside of the glove and but also as less as possible thickness on the inside for not losing grip-strenght. So glueing the fingerparts together? I've never seen those. They are always sewed; hence not watertight on a few mil thickness.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 12/01/14 11:11 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.