AZCat and Mike,

That conversion chart was designed for mono to multi and has lost its relevance in this high performance market. I learned of this at a Multihull Council meeting in '08. It was designed by a NACRA 5.8 sailor who was Commodore of the Southern California YRA. We used it one year ('08) for the GYA Multihull Championship to fit a Weta into the trimaran division.

As a competitor I appealed, but Bob Curry was the crowd favorite, and Chris was given a PHRF number. I applied the same formula to prove my point and was ignored. If I were to use that formula/conversion, my C 24 would have the same rating as my J 29 :-) That dog will not hunt and needs to be scraped.

A few of us are tinkering with a performance system for handicapping the newer sport boats and trimarans which utilizes a wind bracketing system like the Portsmouth system for scoring tris against VX Ones etc; Bob Hodges is on call, and I need to get with Steve Green in San Fran to make headway. The Lake Multihull PHRF Comm has published an advisory for clubs NOT to combine multis and monos. Blatant segregation and hard on new HP boat owners to get involved.

If there is more widespread interest in this approach, get in touch with me via PM, and I will fill you in on our progress.