Just because you are a bit skeptical, about doing something
that seams a bit unnerving to Ya ; don't think you can't or
won't ever change your mind about the subject.

You might even have some FUN ; after riding yourself of the
initial anxiety. If you read the last quote , you will
find that This Guy did :

From Reefer Madness :

Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by Bille
Getting rid of the jib is Fast ; just as fast as deploying it, with a furling mechanism !

my furler is not easy to use in heavy air and more often than not does not furl the sail well ( creates a terrible hourglass shape that is flogging like crazy)

One persons fun is another persons nightmare.

page 5

Originally Posted by MN3

Originally Posted by MN3

my furler is not easy to use in heavy air and more often than not does not furl the sail well ( creates a terrible hourglass shape that is flogging like crazy)

One persons fun is another persons nightmare.

Then FIX it , and it Will be Fun !

What can i say ; go in Big-Wind, with crappy equipment, (what do Ya expect) ?

I use new harken furlers (top and bottom) with the highload turlon bearings. - nothing to fix, not crap equipment

I sail solo 80% of the time so having the luxury of holding the tiller and trying to furl a jib on the fly in 30knots is not just a case of "fix it"

I have sailed in over 40. not my idea of fun. Even over 20 is more than i prefer (but get caught in 25's several times a year).

I think knowing how to depower and get back to the beach safe is much more "fun" than being out in heavy air, getting a face full of water and increasing my risk of breaking a boat or person.

I have jumped on many other boats in high wind, but i find that less and less appealing as i get older.

Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by northsea junkie
Well, you can always heave-to!

IF I wanted to sail in heavy air I would heave-to if/as needed, but since i prefer not to sail in heavy air.... and IF i sailed in heavy air, i wouldn't have a jib out

page 6

Originally Posted by MN3
OK -- then you need to get the pressure off your sails.

Or just don't go out in heavy air

For you being caught in a 25 , "several times a year" as you
say, ; i would Drop the Main completely, and sail your joy back to safe harbor , with just the jib.

So your suggesting when a storm pops up i try and drop and secure my main on my catamaran while on the fly? I don't think that is the answer for me. I can sail my cat in 25 - 30 without doing that.

Have you ever sailed with just your jib ?

Yes

I wouldn't sail Mohave , without a Good plan to deal with the
15 to 30-mph winds that are normal on that lake. We get a nice 15
to start ; then it's ON. It will fluctuate like that,as many
as 3 to 5 times a day.

Here in the Central Fl / Gulf of Mexico we get all ranges of weather. It's typical for the summer days to start out light, build all day and then have late afternoon thunderstorms (although this year has been atypical) - we have plans/options.

You seem to be trying very hard to convince me that sailing in heavy air is the most fun and I should be doing it. I am spoiled and get to sail year round, 3 days a week .... I have learned what i find fun and what i don't.... and sailing in heavy air / rough seas is not fun to me....

YMMV

page 8

Originally Posted by MN3
What i AM saying, is that knowing what to do in stronger wind is a good back-up plan.

~ i agree

page 9

Originally Posted by MN3
can you sail upwind jib only?

I have sailed home from camping jib only down wind but i haven't seen anyone able to make any real ground upwind - jib only.

===============================================================

And now , after ALL that fighting ; i finally get
my point across.

Originally Posted by MN3
well 2 months later and i purchased a 6.0 that was rebuilt with a reefing main

last week i sailed it solo in 20-25 mph, reefed and it was a blast
handled very well, no excessive weatherhelm nor deadly leehelm

The how:
sail is lowered off the hook at the head of mast and the ring is is lowered about 4' (size of bottom sail panel).

There is a very large spin lock in the base of the mast track to lock the main halyard (that is now off the hook)

reef points in the luff (new downhaul), and across the sail and leach (new clew)

another slug in the masttrack at the bottom of new foot

the sail has 2 reef patches sewn into so line/bungee can be used to roll up extra sail - which lays on the side of boom

And to answer the question, if a cat can go up-wind with jib only ?
Give me a Hobie 20 , with stock jib and 30-mph wind ; and
i will show you it can indeed go up-wind , and also do a
full tack into the wind. The jib will need to be in Good shape.

Bille

Last edited by Bille; 04/29/15 07:19 PM.