Lots of good points here.

Before throwing US Sailing under the bus for this issue, please remember these two points (echoing from above):

1. Foiling has been accepted by the class to fall within its one-design rules.

2. PN is results-based, not measurement-based.

While provisional numbers may be issued (using ratings from measurement-based systems), they need to be revised using race data, which is less and less available with every passing year.

But, that is a moot point in this case, unless/until the A Class changes its position on foilers.

To reiterate that last point, that is precisely the response I got to my concerns about the potential for the Alter Cup in Bristol becoming a farce due to a partial fleet of foilers. While I disagreed that was the best plan, I do understand their position about not wanting to get involved with class politics.

Having said that, we got lucky and foiling didn't enter the equation as the event was actually sailed. As these boats get better, and the sailors become more skilled, foiling time will increase, the delta between the foilers and floaters will increase, and this is a real risk to the integrity of the class (and major events using them).

But, at the end of the day, it needs to first be managed by the class, then we can have a discussion about numbers (and systems).

Mike