Thanks for the link Ronald.
Part of the problem with this subject is the terminology. The helm is the person steering or the steering system. Using the term "weather helm" to talk about the balance of the boat without the input of the rudders causes confusion. Describing the balance of the center of pressure of the rig vs the center of resistance of the hulls, rudders,and daggerboards combined needs a term that doesn't have helm in it.
Saying that raking the rudders forward doesn't reduce weather helm is just being picky to cause confusion. It doesn't change the interaction of the rig and the resistance to side force, but it sure as hell changes the boat's need to round up, or weather helm. No, they took the term away and gave us tiller tug.

This drawing is not proving anything to me;
[Linked Image]

The Hobie hulls don't have a straight keel line, and he is not accounting for leeway.
He also says rudder tow-in is to compensate for what is going on in his drawing. No, the leeward rudder points how it has to point when you are loading it up. It is the windward rudder that can cavitate or just be draggy, if your alignment is off. There is also slop in the system that seems to be taken up if you slightly tow in the rudders. One solution is to raise the windward rudder.
He leaves out the main reason for raking the mast aft on a Hobie. It loads up the rudders which are the closest thing to a daggerboard that is on the boat. The lift that a V bottom hull gives is minimal so they try to shift that job to the rudders. On a Tornado, the centerboards lack aspect ratio efficiency and they like to share that job with the rudders also.
Just my opinion. Also my name is david jr. My dad and mom sailed Sharks with Rick in the 60's. Also my dad was active in promoting Florida cat sailing in the 60's and 70's.