My Horror story,

I had to redress and paint my dagger boards as a result of chips and dings on the trailing edges along with assorted molding issues. I took Jake's advice as to using epoxy and hotel door keys for filling. The repairs came out great. I went to Lowes and decided on Rustoleum knowing of the fish oil base and exposure to water. I prepped both boards with thorough sanding and masking. 4 lite coats of primer went on great. The first three coats of Rustoleum High Gloss went on great. However, on the fourth and fifth coats everything went south. It was like pouring acetone on the paint. It curled and peeled the prior coats and primer right up. Mind you the first couple went on great and no issues. Both boards were a disaster. So I figured that maybe there was something on the boards. I stripped and started with an acetone wash and sanded again. Same process and on the 3-4 coats of gloss they peeled again. Not a happy camper. I went back to Lowes and saw their High Gloss paint for plastic deducting that maybe the glass or gel coat was the problem. Went through the whole process again. Again they peeled up and blistered the first coats of primer and high gloss. I called Valspar and spoke to the technical people straight up and they were lost as to the issues. I gave them batch and lot numbers. They called back several days later with no explanation as to the cause. We discussed time periods between applications. At first they ranged from a hour between application of coats to days. Neither made a difference. Then they said because I was shooting in the sun. So I shot them inside....same results.
Finally with many apologies, they sent me a case of primer and finish paint. Valspar also owns PlastiKote. The primer is Premium Primer T-38 white. I applied this as stated on the instructions. The paint they sent was PlastiKote Chassis & Grille Guard paint. ( they call it an Epoxy Formula High-Durability Paint Scratch & Moisture resistant) I applied as they describe with great results and no issues of blisters, peeling and or orange peel.

Hope this works, and wish you the best of luck

Forrest

Forrest
I-20
USA 645

" There ain't enough rum in the drum!"