I don’t believe so, Brett.

The Yachting Victoria Yardsticks (which from my perspective should simply be adopted as the default Australian Yardsticks) operate on the basis of class-approved specifications / rules. By their own admission they have evolved to give Race Officers guidance in running fair racing amongst mixed-fleet competition. Indeed, they make mention of the ability for race officers to adopt “locally derived” yardsticks to accommodate variations in local conditions should these prove influential to fair sailing.

According to various websites, the Nacra 5.8 is a one-design class, with a pin-head sail identified within their standard specification. In an ideal world, competitors who have made modifications such as those you have observed would be up-front with the Race Officer responsible for any event being held, and an adjusted yardstick worked out (based upon other variations within classes identified within YV Yardstick) to accommodate fair sailing for all.

In the real world, I am sure Race Officers do not mind competitors making them aware of any such modifications within the fleet which have the potential to unfairly influence results.

Steve