Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Yes, I've tried various coatings (grease, etc) on the springs and aside from the nasty looks and hard questions I get from Marine Patrol when they see that rainbow develop the minute the trailer touches the water, I only get so-so results.

So I guess the torsion axle may be the most prudent way to go...

Next is to get the dang disc calipers to keep from sticking. No corrosion that I see on piston... must be the actuator (hydraulic surge brake) not returning all the way? How do the calipers adjust for pad wear?

Fluid compensation. Just like a car. As the pad wears, the piston extends further (actually, it just doesn't retract back as far) and it holds more fluid in the caliper with the increased volume of the extended piston. Your fluid level in the reservoir will drop as a result. When you change the pads and press the pistons back into the caliper, you need to watch that the fluid doesn't overflow the reservoir if you have ever added any.

You get ANY moisture (including air-born humidity) into the brake fluid system and it will pretty quickly lead to internal corrosion. The hydraulic brake fluid readily absorbs that moisture and, though not practiced by just about anyone, it's a good idea to change the brake fluid occasionally.

Jake Kohl