Originally Posted by tomthouse
Boat Towing at Sea

While towing sounds pretty simple, it usually is only simple in perfect conditions ­ calm winds and seas. When things are easy like that you need only get in front of the other boat and toss them a line.

(Note on tossing a line: coil the throwing line so there are no kinks. Separate the coil in two with the bitter end of the coil in your throwing hand, the rest of the coil on the other hand. Then toss the line over and past the receiver. The hand not throwing should be laid open and pointing toward the receiver so the rest of the coil will easily exit the hand.)

Most folks just tie the line to the stern of the towing boat. But, that is the worst place you can secure it (especially on a sailboat and even worse on a small sailboat).

Remember, when you turn a boat the point on which it turns is usually near the bow and the stern swings out. If the tow line is on the stern, whcih restricts the stern from swinging out and thereby makes steering the towing boat almost impossible. So, the tow line should be as far forward as possible.

In some cases I've tied the tow line (on small sailboats) directly to the mast base so the tow boat can actually pivot and turn, while towing another craft.

Keep the boats in the similar wave patterns by adjusting the length of the tow line so that both boats are either going up a wave or down a wave at the same time.

My big goal in life is to rescue a power boat using my sailboat.

Always tow at moderate speeds, look and think ahead.

Think safety.

I've towed an 18ft power boat with my Hobie 18 about a mile to safety. We used to brag about all our rescues. That's my 225th rescue....... LOL. The best is when you tow a dismasted boat and fly the hull the whole way back. Three different times.

Last edited by catman; 08/19/16 07:28 PM.

Have Fun