I have not read any bills (yet) but let me tell you that the FL laws that are in place don't seem to have any impact on non-power boats

. In the state of Florida, there already exists education and certification requirements for youth boaters and boaters in training. This proposed legislation could have damaging effects on youth sailing in one of the most impactful states to the sport of sailing in the US

http://myfwc.com/boating/safety-education/faqs/#21 Effective Jan. 1, 2010, boat operators who were born on or after Jan. 1, 1988, must have a Florida Boating Safety Education Identification Card to operate a motorboat with 10 horsepower or more. The requirement to take an approved boating safety course and to obtain an FWC-issued identification card did not change, but the age threshold for the educational requirements is now be based on whether or not you were born on or after Jan. 1, 1988.

I see young kids (and adults) on boats (presumably parents or other) completely disregard safety and common sense often in my area.

I have NO problems with requiring minors adult supervision. We have several youth programs around here - the ALWAYS have adults in powerboats around... i see no problem with that. As a matter of fact: i wish and support licence requirements on adults too. In Fl, we have no requirements for adult boaters... want to rent a million gigawatt powerboat... $ure, as long as you can pay.. we don't care if you know how to safely drive, navigate, etc. And don't worry about your wake... they will never catch you! (it's pretty bad here)

I personally don't want 14 year olds sailing around me solo. they are show offs, foolish and take risks adults wouldn't (i know, i was one of them).

Last edited by Mn3Again; 03/08/17 03:40 PM.

Mn3