I had the identical pair on my 83 TheMightyHobie18
they worked perfectly until (just like Damon stated) they didn't - they developed a crack (probably from soft beaching)
i then paid Hobie $800 for the upgrade kit (on my $400 catamaran)

Originally Posted by soulsailor
The forecast for our area for Saturday in some wind data, i haven't found a good app yet that is right on yet! Wind seems very hard to predict, but they say at least 10 to 18 so we will see.

If i tried to build a rudder i might do it for fun at first to see if i can get the shape right, then i would just do fiberglass nothing like carbon stuff.. The biggest thing is to have a workshop area to play in, i have a garage but its a small one and things like build up in corners of the garage and things get moved around way to much! I need to organize things first that part sux! When i got this boat i had 6 guys help me move one hull in at a time in the winter so i could repair the blisters , I built 2 big Cradles with wheels, that took me til 4 months to finish it

These rudders don't seem to have any issues releasing popping up, but i started to pop them up anyways when i am coming in as i got close to hitting bottom, but all i have to say is what a improvement form what i had!

These were the old ones!Old rudder

old

Mn3