I'm currently using 2.75mm Samson AS78. 3mm was too thick to get the buried splice through the Ronstan handle. As Sam mentioned, I use a 4cm piece of cover to protect the top loop on the shackle.

As for trapeze length, for my C2 I'm at 6.40m 'pull to pull' for both crew and skipper (there is loop at top and thimble at bottom that sets into the bottom of the trap handle).

There is some fudge factor since this length simply determines the comfort level of the handle position. It's the combination of this and your shorter trapeze ring take-up line that determines your final trapeze height. If you have adjustable traps, then you have almost complete freedom.

Also, something from the 'don't ask me how I know' department: It's strongly advisable to run a bungee from side-stay to side-stay across the front of the mast - at about the level of the spreaders. I've had saggy trap lines get hooked by the spreader arm during a tack. The result was a major shock load that resulted in a broken trap line at the top shackle. The only time I've ever had such an issue. I usually store the boat mast-up in the summer and replace them every 2-3 seasons. The only failure I had had nothing to do with UV degradation.

Last edited by rehmbo; 03/04/19 11:11 AM.

Jeff R

H18, C2 USA1193
cramsailing.com
crescentsail.com