I stay out of most of this discussion and the class in general (won't vote) but allow me to make the following comments

the
max hull length of 14'3"
MAX (?) mast length of 24'
open beam
max sailarea of 300sqft in any configuration
1 or more crew
else all open

Feels like a very good framework. Some other less restricted proposal are to much blue sky and will in general see rule beaters killing off the class. With the given limits the search is really on for the most efficient setup.

These specs actually come very close to the specs thought up by two Aussie designers builders who were/are looking into 14 foot cats. So maybe we have a "Maybe a manufacturer will come on board with a boat built to our specs?" right there.

Trailer width limit is not a problem on 14 foot boats. On experience (Hobie dragoon) and physics I don't see any F14 go beyond 8 foot and be a winner. It will wildthing later than others in light air and dip its bow in the heavy stuff with an adult barely on the trapeze. This will indeed sort itself out. Good thing is that the no beam limit allows skiffs and scows the enter as well without being killed on the weight limit.

can anybody look up the "international 14 foot" skiff limits. Maybe we can include them in this class and finally get head to head. Wouldn't that be a great development. Their spi will be too big but than THEY will just have to scale down there.

The setup like this will be more development than A-cat, F18HT and C-class put together. A cat class like the Moth, Great !

One more comment though ;

It is far cheaper to build hulls from exotic material than most of us think; Carbon and stuff is NOT the problem. The money goes for a large portion to blocks, high strength line, high strength fittings, labour and sails.

If anybody tries to build a sloop rig with spi on 14 by 8 than this boat will come out quite close in costs to F16's and F18 despite being smaller.

The best way to go cheaper is to remove sails and thus remove blocks and fittings. Hulls and sails are remarkable constant in costs despite their size.

Performance preditions of a

75 kg = 165 lbs ply hulled, 4.35 mtr (14'3") length ; 135 sqft. main no jib + spinnaker is

About Hobie 18 in heavy air and a little bit faster in light weather.

Quite good actually.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands