Clayton:

Thanks for the info on your outboard and others you've seen on your local Stilettos.

Armed with that info and other information I've been collecting, I'm presently saving my pennies for a Honda high thrust 20 hp 4 stroke, extra long shaft.

That will more than double my available horses, give me an alternator to charge my batteries and help run my autohelm... I can help reduce pollution and improve my miles I get out of a gallon.

I do a fair amount ot coastal cruising, on the open waters of the Sea of Cortez, in Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean, off southern California, in addition to local lake sailing, here in Utah. Indeed, on some of those coastal trips, we've ended up motoring long distances with no wind. We've also had more than sufficient expereince with opting to motor, rather than sail, when we've wished to make a bee-line to some shelter, when the wind got to be more work than pleasure, in rougher conditions.

Either way, the 9 hp two stroke was lots better than a paddle, but I certainly wished I had a more juice.

Thanks for the info.

Tom