I hate to run too far off topic here, so I will offer my gps advice after I mention my solor battery observation.

On Solar, I must humbley bow to the best hobo I've see on the internet. That would be TIMO NOKON ANSIOLUETTELO, The Professional Hobo.
Losing all hope is freedom.

This kayaker who has done many things for himself, as hobos do, has done some very innovative things with such things as electronics and solar charging.
Solar batteries on a Garmin Etrex.

Now for my take on gps's while cat sailing. I use a Garmin Etrex because it is small, light, "waterproof," and has a huge load of electronics packed inside of it.

You need to do what you can to reduce the impact of water spray, but I can tell you that I have reported my position from the belly of a pitch-poled Tornado in the ocean with this unit after it had taken a dunk with me.

The battery case leaks a little bit, but you can open it up and dry it out. Sometimes they leak water and go crazy and eventually the joy stick will go bad. But Garmin, with their best customer service I have ever seen, has always taken care of me!

My advice is to keep it in your pocket when you are not viewing it. They will read satellites right through the fabric of your pocket. Keep the direct salt water hits to a minimum and rinse them off when you get home.

The weak point is the data contact points. The rubber cover is not waterproof. If you don't take action against this leak, you will end up with some serious electrolysis that will eventually cause problems with the computer, patch cord. But when the electrolysis is occuring, you will be bleeding your batteries.

The solution: Place a couple of 1" long pieces of electrical tape over the edges of the rubber flap that is supposed to be covering-up the elelctrical contacts. This takes care of it. And I have proven it in 3 and 4 day trips in the Santa Barbara Channel at Channel Islands National Park.

(Who else do you know who has been There?)

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.