I'm right handed, and putting on a girl's jacket or sweater, I fumble and take a while, probably switching hands a few times.

Are you talking about putting a girl's jacket or sweater on yourself or on her? And I assume you are referring to jackets or sweaters with zippers?

I am asking because I have not been able to find any difference between jackets designed for women and men. Most zipper cars seem to be on the right.

However, the ones that my daughter found that had the zipper car on the left side were mostly children's jackets, which would make sense if an adult is zipping them up, because when you are facing the person you are zipping up, it is easier for the right-handed person who is doing the zipping if the zipper car is on the left side. Whereas, if you are zipping up your own jacket on yourself, it is easier if the zipper car is on the right (unless, of course, you are left-handed).

We still have not heard back from the jacket manufacturer as to whether there is a reason for putting the zipper car on the right or the left, and whether there is any symbolism or sexism or handism involved. Perhaps the designer of the clothing was left-handed?