Volker-
<br>Very nice post! Thank you for being brave enough to post and let all us "grown-up" cat sailors know how the youth feel about some of these issues. In the US we also have some of these same problems with some of the various boat companies "directing" people away from some of their older boat offerrings toward the "newer" ones. In the US one can not even purchase a Hobie 14 anymore, they are out of production as far as I know. Since one cannot buy a new Hobie 14 the people who build/sell Hobies here naturally try to "push" the boats they do sell (such as the Wave, etc.) Is it still possible to purchase a new Hobie 14 in Europe? If so, it seems Hobie would want to keep these fleets strong and growing, where they are growing, and where they are not, or shrinking even, to try to introduce a "new" boat.
<br>I also have a Hobie 14, a "turbo" (= with jib in the US), which I got for my teenage sons and they have enjoyed for the reasons you list. I would add that it is also tough and "looks like" a bigger boat, the Hobie 16 and so is appealling to kids on that aspect as well.
<br>You do have to realize that, unfortunately, "Money makes the world go around" (and companies stay in business) so successful companies often make decisions which may not be popular everywhere (and sometimes even turn out to be bad). However, to convince a company to change it's policies or directions you need to appeal to this issue. How much money does Hobie Europe make off the 14 sailors every year? What happens to these sailors? Will the introduction of Dragoons to certain areas actually HURT their sales/reputation in that area and drive sailors AWAY from their products (this last can be very powerful- What Hobie ideally wants is youth sailors LIKE YOU! That love Hobies and will NEVER, in their entire sailing career, ever buy anything BUT a Hobie! If you can convince them (via a signed petition by all/most of the youth sailors in your particular areas?) that this "action" on their part will cause irrepairable harm to their (potential at least) customer relations they WILL rethink it. It would also be useful if you could give them some options for your area. Applaud them for the fact they are TRYING to support youth sailing and then suggest how the youth sailors in your area would like to see that support offerred.
<br>
<br>Just some thoughts-
<br>Best of luck!
<br>
<br>Kirt Simmons<br><br>Kirt Simmons
<br>Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48

Attached Files
3167- (22 downloads)

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48