We're using a Garmen Geko 201 Handheld GPS unit that can record up to 10.000 trackpoints. We are very happy with this unit. It's fastest record setting is 1 point/sec which is more than enough to show each mistake in great detail. Even in Eu without WAAS or other augmantation systems we get between 5 and 7 mtr accuracy. This accuracy denotes a swing in location coordinates over a longer time span. It pretty much means that the given location is accurate to that distance when passing that location multiple times over the course of say an hours and several hours. In short, we are recording our manouvres like tacks and gibes with much higher accuracy as those manouvres only take seconds to complete.

We are looking at using the 1 point per 3 seconds settingor maybe even 1 point per 5 seconds. 10.000 trackpoints allows us then a record time of 8 hours 20 min or 13 hours and 53 min. Long enough for any race day.

We use gartrip 2.0 free GPS software for mapping the route, colouring the tracks and show the speed tables.

We have to fiddle a bit with the logs (my college Geerts does that) to get it too work but that is mostly because we are evaluating the software. When we pay for a license we won't have to do that anymore.

The numbers are added by us using paint shop pro using to make the picture more understandable. When using Gartrip than you play your track like a movie at various speeds and see what actually happens. You can't do that with stills of course hences the numbers.

Both Geert and I have these Garmin Geko's (140 US$) and are looking to use them simultaniously to compare how we did and were we can improof.

We are looking to use them in the Dutch Coast Challenge as well, during a speed trail or something.

I hope this helps.

Google for the keywords : Garmin Geko 201 and Gartrip software to find more info.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands