Danno,
The Hobie 14 is a FANTASTIC beginners boat to learn catsailing on.
Please ignore advice from people who have a gripe with boats that they did not design themselves.

It`s a great boat because it`s difficult to tack, pitchpoles easily if you overpower it too much and is a little unforgiving. It teaches you how to identify the limits, and once you`ve learned the right technique of tacking it, you can`t be excused for blowing a tack.
If you take a stock H14 & just add a trapeze (no jib) it can hold onto the Hobie 16 upwind when sailed right, and it`s not slow downwind either.
If someone rents a cat for a day & gives up trying to sail after one small setback, they belong on a couch watching football anyway. Try windsurfing. Takes months to learn how to get sailing properly, with many embarrassing moments either swimming back to shore dragging the rig & board, or being "rescued". Learn to sail on a lake before trying the ocean, use common sense.

I`m speaking from a South African perspective here, but I think it`s probably common to other sailing regions : All the top Catamaran sailors started with Hobie 14`s :
Alan Lawrence : Hobie 14 world champ, then Hobie 16 National champ. Now sails Hobie Tiger.
Sean Ferry : H14 National champ, then H16 National champ, then H16 World Champ, now sails Hobie Tiger.
David Kruyt : H14 National champ, then H16 National champ, then H16 World Champ.
William Edwards : H14 National champ, H16 National champ, H16 World Champ. (11th at last Worlds)
Philip Du Toit : H14 National Champ, H14 World Champ ....watch this space.

Both the Hobie 16 & Hobie 14 are challenging, fun boats to sail, are strong as rocks (heavy as them, too ), and will last a long time if looked after.
They teach you skills that will help you to sail any other catamaran. I`d recommend one any day.
And the H14 will still be sailing when many other cat sailors have packed up for fear of damaging their boats.

And no, I don`t sail a Hobie, or sell them. I`m just sick of people who constantly run down other boats just because they sail, sell or have designed something different.
Good luck on whatever you decide to sail (even if it`s a sunfish )

Cheers
Steve