Fred:

90 degree mast rotation means the front of the mast needs to face port or starboard. That's because the Nacra mast capture system would get fouled if lowered or raised without rotation. Thanks.

I searched more about this subject, mainly on thebeachcats.com message board located on Yahoo. Very archaic message board format, but good info. Some people did it solo without a gin pole. Just tied a line from a mast line (halyard, forestay, trap) to a pulley on the trailer mast support. Then pivoted the mast up while taking up slack in the trailer pulley line.

I first had to get the mast to rotate sideways, so I used the main halyard. The line goes through a mast roller on the top front of the mast and exits through a roller on the back. So when I put equal pressure on both sides of the halyard, it tends to pivot it sideways like I want.

I adjusted the two ends of the halyard (wire and line) at the bottom to the same length, knotted it, and tied a 1/4" line to it. Ran that line through a pulley mounted near the top of the trailer mast support and through a jib sheet cleat/block.

Lowering was a piece of cake, and set the mast on a 6' stepladder. But raising it was a bit tougher, mainly getting from the ground behind the trailer to the tramp with the mast on my shoulder. My smaller stepladder is too short. Left me with a 20" final step onto the tramp.

There is no side-to-side sway preventer, but that's been easy to do by hand. I also haven't put my trap wires back on since towing it from CA. Don't need them yet. I don't really use the trailer pulley until I'm done and ready to jump down to fasten the forestay to the bridle. It's nice to keep in hand, taking up the slack as I raise the mast, in case something happens.

The attached file is from the mast support, showing trailer pulley and top of mast. Forestay not hooked up yet. Next post will have another pic from the trailer to the tramp.

Cheers,
Danno

Attached Files

Danno