Hmm, this took a while.... I always hoped that I would be able to find a chance to take a pic of the thing while it is in use... hmm may be some day.
Here is my "cheap" copy of a solo right. It uses the top part of a wind surfing mast, which I laminated a paddle shaped area to it. The paddle shaped area is basically a few layers of 195 g/m* fiberglass cloth laminated over the inside of a hobie 16 hull (the middle between the two pylons functioned in my case as a positive mold).
How it is used... Once capsized ... the forward edge of the paddle shaped area is inserted under the lip that is formed by the deck and hull of the lower hull (the one floating in the water). This is a very sturdy area of the boat - the laminate is about 8 mm thick and there is no risk of compressing the foam core. The two stretches of 1/4 rope (see pic) are each connected to one of the pylons of the hull pointing up. I selected a type of plastic shackles (hold >250 lb. each) that are easy to use and at the same time will not scratch the gel coat of the hulls.
Cost... about $20 for glass, epoxy, and 1/4 rope + the shackles of your choosing. The windsurfing mast was donated to me after the mast broke where the top and bottom were joint together.
Storage... Fits nicely under the tramp - the overall length of the thing is about the same as the width of the rear lacing. For the righting process a slightly shorter pole would do the job.
Weight... about 2.5 lb. The pole will float since the ends are epoxied shut.

Patrick

Attached Files
41920-P1010074.JPG (1045 downloads)

Patrick, Hobie 16 '85