Getting out on the trapeze: It's trickier to do when you are steering the boat. Some people put both the tiller extension and the mainsheet in their aft hand and hold the trapeze handle with their forward hand while getting out on the wire. Some people don't use the handle at all -- they have the tiller in their aft hand and the mainsheet in their forward hand and just drop butt overboard and push out with feet. Until you get the "hang" of it, I would suggest using the handle.

Whatever your technique, you should always push out first with your forward leg. (The trapeze wire is angled forward to the mast and will tend to pull you forward, so you need to counteract that.)

When first practicing to get out on the trapeze, it might be easier if you start with the trapeze adjuster line set with the ring fairly high, and keep lowering it as you get more comfortable with the process of getting in and out on the trapeze. The goal of trapezing is to have your body extended straight out, perpendicular to the side of the boat.

You probably won't actually NEED to use the trapeze on the Wave, but the practice will come in handy if you ever sail on a bigger cat, either as skipper or as crew.

P.S. You said the Wave is going to be your light-air boat when you are not windsurfing. I don't know what a windsurfer considers to be light air, but I would guess it would be anything up to 20 knots?

P.P.S. I am going to order a traveler track kit for my Wave. Even though it is not class legal for racing, I think it is going to be a significant improvement to the boat for sailing off the wind in heavy air. I think it will be helpful in 15 knots plus.