Hey Dean -

I don't mean to sing the blues too much here - one good sunset from the deck with some friends (you can watch Key Sailing regattas from there) makes it worth occasionally having to shovel sand out of your living room. The Island Authority continues to be a problem because they are appointed by the County (except for one token seat). The residents of the island don't make up enough of the County's population to be able to influence (by voting them out of office) the Councilmen who make the appointments. I understand the reasons why, but I get frustrated with a government that's sole concern is getting as many tourists as possible onto the island for as long as it takes to get as much money as they're able to spend. The residents' concerns and welfare are far down the list - we have a 1950's treatment plant that spills several times a year, a patchwork phone and electrical grid, and poorly constructed roads. But, hey, we're about to get one hell of a multilevel parking structure and WOW have you seen the state-of-the-art toll gate?

Still no mast-up cat beach, but maybe someday.

Sheesh... somebody turn me off!

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.