What has technology done for me?
To me the biggest advances in technology have led to products that are much more enjoyable to sail. Nowadays I race 2 classes of boats, A cats and DN Ice yachts. Both are fairly open to innovation, but have some things in place to limit costs.

In both classes there have been 2 big improvements. 1. Dynamic response in sail plans. 2. Overall weight reduction.

Both DN’s and A cats are significantly lighter then they were 30 years ago. This leads to better acceleration and tiller feel. This is also great in allowing 1 person to wheel or carry them around.

The biggest advance is in developing wing masts with automatic gust response. The modern composite wing mast has made the DN a joy to sail in puffy conditions. The difference between an older stiff mast and a bendy one is unbelievable. They are faster, easier to sail, more fun, and safer. The A cat is much the same way in the ability for the rig to absorb puffs without needing to sheet out or adjust downhaul.

The bottom line is that I find modern lightweight boats a hell of a lot more fun to sail. The fact that they are usually faster is not as important to me.

What really amazes me is that in 2005 people are still happily buying 400 lb 18 ft boats. I am all for formula or one design, but who wants to drag those beasts around
Eric Anderson
A- class # 28
DN Us 5193

Attached Files
41584-paul_n_jd.jpg (51 downloads)