Mark,
You have spent too much time sailing Tornadoes. Agreed that at a major Tornado event everything is covered by the NORs and SIs.
Not so in a mixed group. And the NAMSA Tradewinds is a perfect example.
First of all, not everyone preregisters either online or by postal mail. As for online, it is said that only 60% of the population is online, so how can we expect 100% registration?
And you never know if there will be classes or not. This past weekend we discovered that there was a N6.0 Class, which we did not expect. Then after registration is finalized at 10AM we sift out the DPN (handicap) boats, divide the number into low and high handicap and there are two more classes. Sometimes they may be divided into three or even four handicap classes.., depending on the number.

This information has to be given out at the skippers meeting as well as posted on the bulletin board. But, we don't know that info until just before the skippers meeting.

And you would be absolutely amazed at how few people read the Sailing Instructions. Despite exactly spelling out the course in the SIs a number of boats sailed by and asked what the course was.., or what the class flag was (there were no class flags).
Why no class flags? Because we did the old starting procedure using 3 minute sequences and you were assigned starting positions and assigned what course you were to sail. With 5 starts, we got all the racers off in 15 minutes, rather than 25 minutes with the new starting procedure.
I know I am digressing about the starting procedure, but the new one simply does not work with this sort of regatta. It is fine for one or two classes, but not for nine classes. Our Fathers Up There (ISAF and US Sailing)that write this stuff apparently are not privy to open class regattas.

Back from digression.., the starting procedure had to be explained at the skippers meeting or there would have been true havoc and mayhem.

Also, for anything out of the ordinary, i.e., the different starts, the Portsmouth classes, etc., you need to have skippers meetings.

Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com