While perusing my 2005-2008 Racing Rules of Sailing, I came across some interesting changes. Part 4, 42 "Propulsion": When considering the roll tack I found interesting.

42.3 (b) A boat's crew may move their bodies to exaggerate a tack or a gybe, provided that, just after the tack or gybe is completed, the boat's speed is not greater than it would have been in the absence of the tack or gybe.

Now this is certainly not going to be an issue with our catamarans, but I've seen some dingies roll tack and accelerate to a faster speed and then slow down back to normal sailing speed regularly.

The one I really find interesting is this:
42.3(d) When a boat is above a close-hauled course and either stationary or moving slowly, she may scull to turn to a close-hauled course.

WOW. I think this is huge but I'm conflicted regarding how I feel about it. This means that if I go into irons during a race I can scull my way out of it instead of having to back the boat onto the tack I wanted. On one hand I think about how frustrated I was after just loosing 2nd place on a single poorly executed tack in very light air on a Hobie 17 - I would have held onto second place if I could have sculled. This would have relieving me from one of the more technical aspects of light air sailing on that boat and I don't think it would have been respectful of the skill needed to sail the boat well.

But then I think back to when I got particularly frustrated at a fellow Hobie Wave sailor who not only tacked from port within the 2 length circle of A obstructing my close hauled course, but he sculled through the turn (prior to this rule change). And then he beat me...come to think of it, both arguments I presented are against it....I don't like this rule change.

What do you folks think?

Jake Kohl