OK all you Hobie superstars, here is a chance to strut your stuff! Now you need to keep the following info in mind when you offer your very welcome suggestions:
0. There are no catamarans or cat sailors within 50 miles of me
1. I am 67
2. I weigh about 200 lbs
3. I am retired so will be out ~5 days a week
3.5 I will be sailing solo
4. I do not plan to be racing, except to perhaps push some mono hulls around out on the river. I do like to point high and push the envelope just a bit.
5. I sailed the boat as it came last fall ~ 10 times - mostly in under 10 kn breeze.
6. The boat seems to have original equipment, but is in fine shape
Sooooo I want to do some things, but I don't want to sink any really big bucks in this elderly craft.
A.There is nothing set up for righting. Which rig would you suggest? I am a cautious old codger and don't plan on swimming too much .
B.The tiller seems too short when I go forward on tramp,and I haven't used trap yet! I am looking at Arriba Hotstick 52-96. Any better ideas?
C.Should I buy the gooseneck bearing kit and the basic downhaul kit?
D.Does the Aussie Jib Halyard make sense for me?
E.I am going to replace the shrouds, and I guess they will come 2 inches shorter than what's on there now. Aside from an additional adjuster on the jib stay will that cause me any other problems?
F. Which is the preferred bridle fly?
G. Should I get a jib traveler trim kit?
H. I have been using Coors beer caps as mast bearings and they seem to work just fine. Am I going to find out that I shouldn't have ?
I. I assume that I should replace the rudder pins(alum?) and cams even though steering has seemed good.
Any other tips/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Well I think that's enough to get me started. I thank you all for everything you have already taught me. And will be even more greatful when I see the flood of replys to my post. Look out Ellen McArthur! Thanks much