Aestela,

Recognized most of your questions. I am curious to hear about your recent experiences, any specific improvements made?

You'll probably have found most answers in the meantime, but maybe I can give some hints as well.

Weight and balance turn out to be rather important due to low volume of the Hobie. To far to the aft and you'll create a lot of turbulence slowing your speed. Especially in light winds.

I sail mostly alone and with (for Hobie standards) minimal mast rake. Shroud position 4, or 5th hole from below. Makes my steering control 100% neutral, so I can use 2 hands for quick adjustments of main sail (and jib). Paying closest possible attention to the tell tales (added some at the leech of my main sail) and using trapeze as soon as possible.
Since April 1st 2005 Hobie 16 rules are changed: cunningham and jib halyard modifications. More adjustments on the water are possible now (and allowed). Did try almost any rigging and trimming option, but in most cases I found difference are hard to detect.

One thing I am still in doubt about being the tension of the jib halyard. Rather tight is not very accurate. Should be very critical, 2,5 cm adjustment is told to make a big difference.

Hope anyone can give me some idea about "rather tight" and what difference should it make? Maybe it got something to do with my "below average" up-wind performances?

Happy sailing from The Netherlands!

Eddie

Hobie 16 (1992) # 99173 & CT11 - with spi