Yesterday, the third time out on my recently acquired Prindle 19 I had the mast topple down while derigging in Hobie Beach. I was very lucky in that no one was in the direct line of the fall and no property was damaged other than the mast hinge. It was a stupid error on my part as with the boat secured on the trailer, I removed the clevis pin from the port stay and was on my way up the trampoline when the mast came down on the starboard side accompanied by a communal muffled sigh from the nearby beachgoers and the couple on beach chairs 10 ft from the landing spot.

Needless to say I am now scared straight, I used to be just paranoid, about this particular operation. Other than the lack of foresight on my part removing the stay, I must be doing something else wrong as it takes me and two or three others to step the mast. Plus bent/broken hinge pins/hinges and screwdrivers.

Is there any one out there with experience with the P19 that would show me a proper way to conduct this operation? Would beer be enough to show gratitude for this instruction?