Marijn,

Welcome to the I-17 world!

I have the aluminum mast,, normal configuration. So, the info I give you works for my rig. I do not know if it is a general specification for the'R' version or not, ok?

I tried all aconfigurations. This is what works best for me.

I tighten the side stays tight. The guage I use is the when I grab the mast rotoator ( no sail up), and it has resistance, to the point where the rig 'screaches' about 50% thru the rotation and it gets hard to rotate to 100%. Then I have my spot.

When on the water, the forestay should not 'flex-reflex' when going over a wave. If so, the forestay needs more tension. Take up 'one hole' until this does not happen.

These setting are for Caribbean wind strenght ( 15-20mph) and 3 foot waves( +/- 1 foot)

I had my setting 'nice', and put new rigging up. I set the pins at the same settings. Guess what......it was not tight enough.

I suspect that the tightness of the rig keeps the mast from 'falling off' , thereby keeping the extreme pointing ability the boat is known for.

I have also noticed, that if you go to a single forestay configuratoin, you nave lost the ability to keep the mast from 'falling off' somewhat. the double forestay configuration appears to be the best upwind pointing setting.

Have fun!

Bruce
St. Croix
US Virgin Islands