Bob,

I have seen a second forestay adjuster used for to hold the forestay before the jib is up. The jib was then fastened on the lower adjuster and once tighten caused a lot of slack in the forestay. I short bungee cord was then fastened to the top of the second adjuster and the bottom of the lower adjuster. That pulled the upper adjuster out at a right angle and took all the slack out of the forestay so it wouldn't rub on the jib.

Do you fasten the jib to the upper or lower adjuster? If the upper, do you get the shrouds tight enough? You may have too much rake. Where are the shrouds in their adjusters, top or bottom?

My jib hangs up in lighter winds and I pull it over. The trick is to do it from the lee side and push a lower batten to curve it to leeward as you push it over. In a stronger wind it should not hang up. Check the length of your battens to see if you can shorten them. Another trick I use is to use a small line to tie the jib halyard back towards the downhaul. It pulls the halyard back enough to help prevent it catching the battens. At one time there was a small hook you could buy from Hobie that mounted on the mast for that same purpose - to hook the halyard back. Is that what you mean by the halyard guide that you have?

Are you backwinding the jib and then letting it go after the main has filled? Usually there is enough force to pull the jib over.

Howard