I have had an H16 and TheMightyHobie18 in New England. The TheMightyHobie18 had been there for 20 years before I bought it. The previous owner and myself stored teh boats the same way. Take the tramp, sails, and rigging inside. Leave the plugs open. If you have ports in your hulls cover them with something that will still allow air to circulate, but keep rain and snow out. This will help keep them dry inside (I also trailer with the hull ports open if it is not raining). With the tramp removed, there isn't much area for the snow to collect so I never worried about the extra weight.

My comptip has been uncovered for more than 20 yeras and is doing fine. I never bother with this one. Just keep it painted so the glass doesn't show through and it will not have any structural problems. My tramp is the orginial, has been stored outside during sailing season and I will finally have to replace it. My boat is an '82. The hiking straps go long before the vinyl does. The Hobie factory tramps are really sturdy. I also know some people who just unlace the tramp and let it hang off the fram over the winter. Vinyl gets brittle when it gets cold so I usually avoid this just to be safe.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO