From the USCG:
Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs): By law you must have one PFD (Type I, II, III ) on board for each person aboard. A type V PFD may be counted it is is being worn. If your boat is 16 feet or more, you must also have a throwable PFD (Type IV).

Type I PFD: Off-shore life jacket. Provides a minimum of 22 lbs of buoyancy. Recommended for off-shore boating where delayed rescue may take place. A Type I PFD will turn most unconscious persons face-up.

Type II PFD: Near-shore life jacket. Provides a minimum of 15.5 lbs of buoyancy. Recommended for coastal or lake boating where prompt rescue is likely. A Type II PFD will turn most unconscious persons face-up.

Type III PFD: Flotation Aids such as ski vests are designed for comfort and ease of motion.

Type IV PFD: Throwable Device: For example: Life ring, floatable cushions.
-------------
The other types of lifevests other than Type I trade off face-righting ability for comfort and mobility. They are only reccomended for coastal and inland boating. If you not comfortable with that then make sure you get a Type I or Type II vest. Also make sure your trap harness does not have any extra padding on the bottom that may cause unwanted flotation.

Lance
Taipan 5.7 USA 182
Palm Harbor, FL