As a sailor of the Inter 17 I have to answer Wouters comments in relation to the boat and so provide answers from someone who has 5 years of sailing the boat.

-1- Ability to right the boat unaided and with simple means

If it's windy enough to tip it in you can get it back up again. Yes, if you tip it over in a F1 you WILL NOT right it on your own.

-2- Ability to handle the boat off the water singlehandedly (unaided)

Yep the Inter 17 is not the lightest boat in the boatpark.

-3- Ability to handle the boat on the water singlehandedly

Yes agreed, the Inter 17 is a challenging boat to sail. It rewards the fit and skillful. Many people ask what it is like to sail and I say that - Ask Bob Curry!. I'm not as fit as I should be, but after 25 years of cat sailing the skill (I hope) is just about coming along ok

-4- Ability to perform well on the boat singlehandly

I Refer to my answer to 3

-5- Ability to race the boat well in modern fleets of fast (spi)boats

I have many people moaning that the Inter 17 is one of the quickest single handers down wind and no slouch in a 2 up fleet either - Big kite, wide to allow you to power it up and long with deep bows to allow you to keep the boat powered up. It does (in EU I17 guise 13.4 sqm mainsail) suffer a little upwind in the light stuff.

-6- Ability to adjust the layout of fittings and controls to personal preference under class rules

You get a set of plans (or you should do) with the boat, and that is how it should be rigged; However, there is nothing to stop you changing things for non class regatta's - As I have. As long as you don't add sail area, reduce weight etc, the rating stays the same.

-7- Ability to fit the boat with aftermarket parts of independent suppliers

Harken not after market ?
You do not have to buy your rope, wire (and running rigging) or blocks from Performance. Hulls, Mast, beams, Plates and Rudders you do (to stay as an Inter 17)

-8- Factory support network

Not great in the UK, but it is there if you need it. Also the Web is a wonderful thing

-9- Robustness and resistance to abuse

Oh FFS. Elsewhere you have a go at Performance for over building their boats and now you say they cannot take the rough stuff, or sail in the big stuff.

Rubbish. All the performance range (not seen an A2 so cannot comment on that) are very well build and last for ages. My 5 year old boat is still going strong, had a "proper" clean up last year and people were asking if I had a new boat.

My opinion on the Inter 17

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here