Hello Peter,

Jesse Martin :

Wasn't that something, I have the documentary of him and lionhard on video, great story about a "can-do" mentality.

Haven't gone F16...yet. ... Still weighing the options, ... Mozzie with kite will whip a Taipan 4.9 without kite, but will be left behind if the Taipan hoists a kite. So I need to think carefully about which is the right way to go. Kite the Mozzie or get into a different F16. Like I said, my daughter loves Taipans...,

I'll admit that this is not an easy decision for an Aussie sailor ! The Mozzies are having the fleets and good event atmosphere but not the raw speed have you hammer the F18 class on elapsed time if your are a decent sailor. The Taipans having the performance (with some upgrades like the spi) but also the endless bickering and all out resistance to any changes to the design that will see the class dwindle to near extinction. Funny actually, the Taipan design came out of the mozzie design when it decided that not a single upgrade would be introduced in the mozzie. The Taipan class exploded, but now so many people have forgotten their own beginnings and want to do exactly the same as the class that "expelled" the Taipan in the first place. And they expect that this will prevent an F16 growth and prevent losing any sailors to the F16 class, just like the Taipan saw no growth after it left the mozzie class. It is strange dynamic.

My personal opinion is that you should seriously consider the Taipan option if performance and hanging with the big boys in town (F18's, A's etc) when sailing with a spi is your game and you are not unwilling to make a few upgrades to the boat. If only sailing standard Taipan 4.9, then I think you are better of upgrading your Mozzie with a spi kit. Less cost and better all-round performance and enjoyment. Like so many others that have made the transition to kite. I never want to sail without a spi again. That thing is bloody addictive. You will not regret the upgrade on either boat. You will have to go through a learning curve of some time but after that you'll want to use it more and more.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands