I assumed same alloy for both beams, otherwise we couldn't compare them. I did not include the small ribs inside the mast though.

If you look at my calculations you see that I determine the weight of the blank Taipan forebeam by deviding the weight of the mast by it's length and than multiplying it back to 2.34 mtr.= length of beam.

Now the mast has probably a wall thickness of 0,002 mtr. And I know the circumference of the mast by deviding the 1.4 sq. mtr. mast area by the mastlength and multiplying it be 2.

With these values (derived from measured values) I can determine the density of the allow used for the mast = 2413 kg/cubic mtr. Which is a good value for aluminium alloys.

Now I assume I make the round section of the same alloy (hence same density and strength) and that it has a diameter of 0,075 mtr. and a wall thickness of 0,002 mtr. The rest is just mathematics.

From the moment of enertia calculations I made the Round beam section has at least the same stiffness as the ribbed mast section and probably is stiffer by some 15 %.

I also assume that the same but just longer dolphin striker is fitted which only adds less weight (about 6 % more) than the weight difference that I calculated. I';m still looking at optimizing that too.

But I expect that with the approach given above with give you a slightly stiffer beam of full F16 length with better torsion resistance which is at most of equal weight as the shorter Taipan beam and probable is lighter and stiffer.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands