I cannot agree with lowering the weight of the Formula 18. It is what it is. This is a formula class that seems more like a one-design class. I like that about it. Here you can have whatever boat you want manufacturing-wise and there are good to great used boats on the market. If we start to change too much from the original rules we will alienate some sailors. If I recommended a used boat to a new class member I do not want to be handicapping them from the beginning. This is what would happen if we start to change the class rules too much. We seem to be settling down to some good rules now with few changes happening.

There are other classes of boats that have been around a lot longer than Formula 18s that stay with the rules. For example a Finn is still a single-handed boat that weighs in at 400lbs. It is still has pretty large numbers sailing it. There are not many times that I “hate” the weight of a Formula 18, at almost 400lbs. I never think about it on the water. Yes, I have sailed an A-Cat and know what it is like to sail a boat that is lighter than I am. What is interesting about this class, in my opinion, is that sailing a slightly underpowered boat really makes you think about slight adjustments, giving us better understanding.

In answer to the best Formula 18? The one that I am on at the starting line or on the water at all is the best. I sail my Tiger and a friends Nacra F18. I like sailing either boat at the time I am on them. If you are trying to find the fastest look at the results, put them in a spreadsheet and rank the sailors on them, too much work. I think you will find there is little difference. If you are the best in the land, Booth, Thomas, Bundock, Lovell, many others to add here, you will be at the top on any of them.

Later,
Dan