As my complete mainsheet go lost / stolen last year I’m still using the set of a fellow catsailer.
Although a great lead indeed I’m getting a little confused now. I’ll try to explain:

My 1992 H16 is more or less standard (I think..). Mats rake I adjust reluctantly. In 5-th position (from below) the steering is neutral which I think is a major advantage – especially when sailing alone. In 4-th or even 3-rd hole she will immediately turn into the wind when releasing the joystick. Added bushes (Hobie Tiger) and new rods in the rudders so play is close to zero now. Rudder blades are in max forward position.
But even in 5-th hole I manage to sail “block to block” quite easily – with a 6:1 configuration. How should I be able to use a 8:1 set (Ricks’ recommendation) as I don’t have enough height available. Is my main sail worn out? I doesn’t look that way. I connect both blocks – to traverse ar and beam – with shackles only, to keep profile as low as possible.

By the way: Mast rake is still a tricky business for me anyway. Maybe I am not sensitive / skilled enough but tacking is not my favourite course. And when the nose dips you’ll loose in most cases anyway. But isn’t that half the thrill?

Hope somebody can give me some advice.

Eddie
The Netherlands
# 99173

Happy sailing from The Netherlands!

Eddie

Hobie 16 (1992) # 99173 & CT11 - with spi