Phillipe and David,

Depends if you are dealing with big waves. If you have waves,.then you really have to pick a spot, and as you both know, there is little regularity in large wind driven waves. you have to get the boat 51% thru the tack BEFORE the next wave hits the bows,......sounds like fun,..eh?

As for tacking in big air,..the modern designed Uni's can do it well,...you need speed ( head off a little),..your traveller is already down 8-12 inches ( in 25+),....as you are beginning your tack let out the mainsheet ( as she wants to go)...tack FURTHER than you would normally,...as she settles on the new tack,.....slowly the UNI will power herself up,...you pull in SLOWLY a armfull of mainsheet,...spot your course,...hook up and get out,.....pull in the final armfull of main SLOWLY .....and go man go!

I draw the line at 25 mph. There is nothing to prove above that speed except breaking things. If the wind picks up during a race,..well, you are out there,..so, I find that sailing sanely usually pays off for me,..while everyone flips,..I just cross the finish line nice and easy. Depower and safe is definately the name of the game at that wind speed.

For example, in a Saturday race 3 weeks ago,..we knewthe wind was increasing,...the boat begins to act funny in 30+,...well I noticed in the middle of the race,..after so BLASTS came thru,..that the traveller assembly,..the metal plate that holds the camcleat which feeds the trav line to the trav car,..bent 30 degrees UP! this is a 2000 I-17! The wind was so strong,..that the weakest part deformed, which was a plate of stainlees steel!

So, have fun,..but be smart too!

Bruce

St. Croix

I-17 normal