Thanks

The singlehander is minus jib right?

Yes, the singlehander is only the mainsail + spinnaker

At 103kg. I was concerned to be underpowered upwind and overpowered downwind. Is that not the case?

You must note that the F16 has 15 sq. mtr. (161 sq. ft) mainsail area. Compare this to the following boats :

A-cat = 13.94 sq. mtr. = 150 sq ft.
FX-one = 14.90 sq. mtr. = 160 sq. ft
Hobie 17 = 14.76 sq. mtr. = 159 sq.ft.
Mastrom M18 = 15.13 sq. mtr. = 163 sq. ft.
EU I-17 = 13.68 sq. mtr = 147 sq.ft
US I-17R = 16.44 sq. mtr. = 176 sq. ft.

F18 = 17.0 sq. mtr. = 183 sq. ft.

So the mainsail area of the F16's is level with the area of these boats, with the exception of the US I-17R, but this boat has a rather big mainsail area. And eventually you will have to pull all that area into shape by your mainsheet. But that is a different topic.

Anyway on this data I would certainly not call the F16's underpowered, afterall we are more then a bit lighter then all the others as well with the exception of the A-cat and M18.

With a spinnaker a singlehanded sailor is almost always overpowered downwind, irrespectably whether you sail a FX-one or F16. But this is not a issue as you can always sail as deep as you like and make better VMG as a result. And that is the name of the game isn't it ? Making the best VMG possible ?

Personally I feel skippers weighting up to 150 kg will not have to worry about being underpowered on the F16's. Think of it in this way. If the F16 can be fully powered up at 10 knots wind with a doublehanded crew of 150 kg (and sails cut to reflect that) why should any singlehanded skipper fear being underpowered (and his sails cut to his weight) ?

The basic specs of the F16 are sufficient and the formula class rules allow you full freedom to optimize you individual boat to sit your framework.

As I said earlier, several F16 sailors and I myself (all in the range 70 to 95 kg) simply use our standard doublehanded mainsails (cut for optimal performance when 140 - 150 kg) for singlehanding and feel perfect fine with it. You at 103 kg are still way below 140-150 kg and therefor will be fine with a standard cut sail.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands