I like the separate tack line. No time is lost really - especially if you lead the tack line outboard to near the shroud so the crew can pull it and still remain on the trapeze. The separate tack line allows you to adjust the luff tension of the spinnaker - which you might need if racing on a triangle or in a distance race. It also simplifies the mechanics system of the spinnaker hoist - less chance for foul ups. As far as the halyard go, I'm pretty happy with having a headbanger mounted on the side of the mast at 'stomach' level. With the crew standing, they can hoist the chute while facing forward so they can actually see the spinnaker coming up and anything else happening on the front of the boat. With it mounted on the front beam, their head is down away from the action. I've noticed more people are mounting that headbanger (pivoting exit block) on the front center of the mast to allow access from either side of the boat - but we haven't tried that. The only drawback with the pivoting exit block is that it is difficult to keep it cleated when the spinnaker is snuffed - we're thinking about adding a small cleat to the front beam to help with this.

PS - I'm not a big fan of spinlocks. That's the only piece of hardware I've ever had fail on me (and twice too).

Jake Kohl